Saturday, December 3, 2011

Video time!




Even though she totally blows me off a few times, in the video, Kessel is coming along very nicely! Her contacts are more or less solid, and we are now doing 6 weave poles. We used the 2x2 method to introduce her to weaving, and I do feel like that is a great system to teaching the dog the concept of the weave poles. Kessel seems to really enjoy weaving, and is starting to put some serious speed into the set of 6. I can't wait until she graduates to the full 12. I have a feeling she is going to be lightning fast.

I still find it hard, sometimes, to direct and train from a distance, over fences, instead of doing so in the saddle. When she takes off long, jumps flat, or runs out, I often wish I on her back directing her. Learning to train "over fences on foot" is a new experience for me, to say the least, but it's enlightening and I do think that it makes me an even more well-rounded horse person, in terms of the big picture.

She is now doing the dogwalk and A-frame at full height. The teeter has been raised and we're only one "hole" lower than full height. Raising the dogwalk actually slowed and focused her, surprisingly. As you can see, in the video, she often chooses to execute the dogwalk on her own. I think she enjoys the contact obstacles.

I recently took her to an AKC trial just to observe, and felt incredibly ignorant for not remembering that they do not allow "pinch" (prong) collars on competition grounds. It does amuse me that they fully allow "choke chains" but not prongs....apparently, it is acceptable to potentially strangle your dog and possibly cause damage, but not okay to use a collar that actually does offer exceptional control with little to no  harm to the dog. Same equine adage applies, of course - "you can break a jaw with a snaffle or create poetry with a double bridle," I suppose, but I still feel that choke chains are severely antiquated and of zero use, especially when compared to the prong. Personal opinion, of course. So, I ordered a delightfully obnoxious (fluorescent yellow with black, green, and blue weaving) slip lead from the fantastic Ella's Lead and cannot wait for it to arrive. Their leads are super heavy-duty, feel great in the hand, and I was able to order one with a control tab to keep the lead from opening too far. Of course, Kessel wears one of their vegan collars, too, so maybe I'm a little biased to that lovely company. Please check out their website and drool over their incredible products!


Now that we are a real agility team, our trainer has allowed us to purchase a membership to the agility building. It's a great concept and well worth the small monthly fee. We're issued a building code so we may access the building and equipment at any time when there are not classes being held. It reminds me of renting an arena, or cross-country course. A great way to work on sequences and small stuff outside of class.

Obedience is coming along, too. Her emergency down is getting more reliable, and she really is a dream, off leash. With every session, her "watch" command gets stronger and stronger. She is still occasionally overstimulated by watching other dogs run courses, but my trainer assures me that it isn't much to worry about. I still do, though.... :)



No comments:

Post a Comment